livwhite

Soundtrack of the Summer 2018

As the warm weather has now officially ended and we enter the academic year, a few of our contributors have decided to share with you some of the tracks that have shaped their summer…
Soundtrack of the Summer 2018
Photo: MOHA (Sziget 2017)

1. The Likeness of Being – Jamie T
Jamie T blessed our late summer with his B Sides (06-17) album of previously unreleased material,
written in his youth and since forgotten about, uncovering gems such as ‘The Likeness of Being’.
Sombre yet filled with classic Jamie T charm, it’s the perfect nostalgic soundtrack for these last few
summer nights.

By contributor Winona Newman

2. You Make My Dreams – Daryl Hall and John Oates

This song has been in the background of my car, in the garden, in films on holiday and blaring out of
my bedroom windows throughout the summer. That unmistakable keyboard riff fills me with sunny
joy whenever I hear it – this is one of the happiest, catchiest summer songs there is, yet its simplicity
never takes away from its credentials as an all-time 80s classic.

By contributor Phoebe Flys

3. Greatest Comedian – Matt Maltese

Matt Maltese’s debut album burst onto the music scene this June treating listeners to an intriguing collection of summer sounds. The stand out track is ‘Greatest Comedian’, a unique love song filled with quirky compliments providing an uplifting vibe fit for any summer occasion.

By contributor Peter Varley

4. Charcoal Baby – Blood Orange

The recent release of Blood Orange’s brilliant fourth album Negro Swan has certainly rekindled my love for Dev Hynes. The mellow groove and smooth vocals of ‘Charcoal Baby’, the first single from Negro Swan, has soundtracked many days cloud watching this summer.

5. Shake Your Bam Bam – RDX

This track definitely isn’t to my usual taste, yet after a month of hearing it non stop while volunteering in Fiji, the infectious dancehall beat from the Jamaican duo never fails to get me in a party mood.

By contributor Alice Berkeley

6. So Good At Being in Trouble – Unknown Mortal Orchestra 

Words can’t fully justify how incredibly good this song makes you feel. Characterised by simple lyrics, a dubbed synth beat, keys, and a nifty guitar lick, there’s nothing but raw talent.  Nielson’s uniquely soothing vocals provide the perfect backdrop to your warm and dimly lit summer evenings.

By editor Olivia White

The Mancunion is now on Spotify!

Follow our new weekly Spotify playlist at https://sptfy.com/19kw