harrydeacon
1st November 2018

Jacksonville Jaguars’ pre-match controversy

Controversy surrounded the pre-match exploits of four Jacksonville Jaguars players, who were briefly detained over an unpaid bill at a Piccadilly bar.
Keith Allison @ Flickr

The temptation of a big night out is inevitable for many visitors to the UK’s capital city; when there’s an NFL match that weekend, however, it may not be the best idea.

This is exactly what four Jacksonville Jaguars players, named by nfl.com as Barry Church, Ronnie Harrison, DJ Hayden, and Jarrod Wilson, discovered after getting into a dispute over the £50,000 bar tab they had racked up.

Jacksonville lost their match on Sunday at Wembley against the Philadelphia Eagles 24-18, bringing their losing streak up to 4 games. The trouble over the bill at a bar in Piccadilly, that regularly puts on burlesque shows, surely can’t have helped their endeavours.

The Jaguars owner Shahid Kahn is a familiar name for both NFL and Premier League fans, owning Fulham FC and recently pulling out of his bid to buy Wembley Stadium. Kahn can’t have been too happy with the players, especially Church, who admitted to taking “full responsibility,”  after the match.

Those who watched Manchester City’s Monday Night Football match against Tottenham at Wembley would have noticed the worn-down pitch, left behind by the Jaguars-Eagles match. It seems as though American Football is causing controversy in England both on and off the field.

Why European rugby must not forget Italy

Italy’s narrow loss to England in the Six Nations was a reminder that it has the potential to compete with the very best in rugby

F1 Academy partners with Charlotte Tilbury for 2024 season

A huge announcement for the world of motorsport as F1 Academy is partnering with none other than Charlotte Tilbury

Did the 2023 F1 season push drivers too far?

Drivers are used to pushing themselves physically and mentally as high-performing athletes in the world of motorsport, but the 2023 season sparked discussions about driver welfare following an intense calendar and extremely demanding race weekends

F1 vs feminism: The impact of Susie Wolff allegations against female involvement in the sport

The 2023 allegations and subsequent investigations against Susie Wolff could have an impact on the role of women in motorsports