livwhite
2nd November 2018

Hot Right Now: HMLTD

This week’s Hot Right Now feature covers one of the industry’s most unique bands, HMLTD writes Olivia White
Hot Right Now: HMLTD
Photo: Olivia White @ Mancunion

Happy Meal Limited or Hate Music Last Time Delete?

HMLTD, a London-born sextet of glam, rock, punk, and pop merge together to produce some of the most exciting and experimental music that you could find in the current industry.

Embellished with the most garish, bold and sometimes even creepy costumes, HMLTD are totally unique in their stage presence. Henry Spychalski, the band’s flamboyant frontman, is one of the most dramatic performers I have ever laid eyes on, certainly similar to the likes of Adam Ant.

With an absolutely fascinating image, HMLTD draw influences from Satan, sex, love and nightmarish figurines to produce a bizarre concoction of seductive beats and compelling lyricism. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like a HMLTD live set.

Albeit, some of their songs e.g. ‘Stained’ and ‘Kinkaku-Ji’ can come across abrasive on the studio versions and the rest may leave you questioning what on earth you have got yourself into, I still urge you to see them live.

Fans of HMLTD are exactly how you would picture them – everybody is welcome. Every age, race, sexuality, religion is welcome here because the caricatures that form HMLTD are constantly striving to push every social boundary and limit.

HMLTD live performances may leave you awkwardly laughing out of slight discomfort but will definitely leave the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end.

Songs to listen to: ‘Proxy Love’, ‘Is this what you wanted?’, ‘Music!’ and ‘Satan, Luella & I’

Upcoming tour dates: Supporting Shame* O2 Ritz Manchester (22ndNov) and Leeds Uni Stylus (20thNov).

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day