chloehatton

A vicious cycle

The UOM Cycling Club took on a mammoth 24 hour cycle – all for charity
A vicious cycle
Photo: UOM Cycling Club

On Tuesday, 6th November, The University of Manchester Cycling Club began an epic challenge – a 24 hour static bike ride. Taking on the worst of Manchester’s rain and cold, the club braved the elements all in the name of charity.

Around 20 members of the cycling club cycled in shifts. There were two people at any one time on two bikes outside the Students’ Union. These shifts meant the team was continuously cycling for 24 hours, beginning at 10am on Tuesday and finishing 10am Wednesday.

So why do it? The club wants to raise a grand total of £2,500 this year for Maggie’s Centres. They are welcoming spaces that work alongside the NHS to provide emotional, practical, and social support to those with cancer and their loved ones.  It costs £2,500 to run a centre for a day.

They’ve run the event for a number of years now, but want this year to be their most successful yet. They’re hoping to raise a total of £800 from the 24 hour cycle alone. If you’d like to contribute to this total, their JustGiving page is still accepting donations.

Rebecca Maynard, the club’s Race and Track Captain, said “It was a super hard ride. The hardest part, for me at least, was about 2am-4am where we saw very few people so it was hard to convince myself to keep it going. But it’s an amazing cause, and one that’s become closer to my heart in the last year and a half with my grandma having breast cancer.”

If this sounds like something you’d like to get involved in next year, why not join the Cycling Club? They welcome anybody, regardless of experience or ability. The club offers the chance to get involved in weekly mountain biking trips to Wales or the Peak District, weekly road biking sessions, and even opportunities for European training camps or weekend trips within the UK. Membership costs £40, and if you do want to join, check out their Facebook page.

Review: Scooby Doo: The Panto (UoM Panto Society)

Jessica Hamilton reviews Scooby Doo: The Panto at Manchester Academy 2
Missing Money, Broken Membership System: Societies’ Rising Discontent With Student’s Union

UoM’s society committees draw light on a frustrating year of operating under lockdown restrictions alongside an unresponsive Student’s Union
Join Fashion Soc’s Fashion Business Panel Discussion

The University of Manchester’s Fashion society’s fashion business panel discussion with industry speakers
International Women’s Day: Join Women In Business Society’s Female Founders of Manchester Panel

Women in Business society is hosting a panel event highlighting female business owners in Manchester.