jeremybijl1

1 in 5 Brits don’t know when WWI began, and Bandai Namco plan to address that

Bandai Namco release 11-11: Memories Retold to commemorate the First World War, as the conflict’s centenery passes
Photo: BandaiNamco

Bandai Namco, developers of titles such as Dragon Ball-Z, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Dark Souls Remastered and SoulCalibur, have published the results of a study conducted about the knowledge and awareness of the British public regarding the First World War.

The research of 2,000 people revealed that a fifth (20%) of people do not know which year the war begun or the year in which it ended (20%). Additionally, over a quarter (28%) of people can’t name the Battle of the Somme as a key event during the global conflict.

They also found that just under half (49%) of people know that the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was one of the major causes of WWI.

It also revealed that nearly a third (30%) don’t know that the poppy symbol from John McCrae’s famous poem ‘In Flanders Fields’ — was inspired by poppies growing across battle-scarred fields.

In response to the results, Bandai Namco have released a new game called 11-11: Memories Retold, which is intended to, “commemorate the centenary of the First World War and educate a whole new generation about the atrocities that occurred and the heartbreak experienced.”

Bandai Namco’s Lee Kirton also said that, “We hope through the power of the game we can help a new generation discover more about the history and the importance of WWI.”

Coming in at £19.99, 11-11: Memories Retold’s profits will be donated to War Child UK, a charity aims to “protect, educate, and stand up for the rights of children caught up in war.”

11 bit studio have also partnered with War Child to release a a DLC for This War of Mine by the same name.

11-11 does not feature any combat, instead focusing on creating a mimetic experience to encourage remembrance and compassion. Featuring a unique, pastel-coloured art style, the game will be available on the PS4, Xbox One and PC.

There’s plenty wrong with me: The Arkham saga retrospective

A love letter to Rocksteady and the Batman games they made

Gotham Knights: The Freebird Rule

The newest instalment in the archive of Batman video games fails to top the standard set by the Arkham Saga

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II: The paradox of keeping games free of politics

In the wake of the newest Call of Duty game, the intentions of the ‘keep politics out of video games’ crowd remain as clear as ever

Overwatch 2 is overrated

Overwatch remains unchanged, with microtransactions and minimal reward systems leaving people wanting more