• Sport
  • UoM’s women’s hockey and men’s lacrosse sides both ease past opposition

james-gill
1st March 2019

UoM’s women’s hockey and men’s lacrosse sides both ease past opposition

The Men’s fencing team progressed to the final of their cup as they move onto an eight-game winning streak
Manchester’s lacrosse team in action. Photo: Nick Whiting

Another week, another set of fixtures played by the men and women of the University of Manchester. Here at The Mancunion, we’ve got the scoop of all the biggest games, starting with lacrosse.

The University of Manchester men’s 1st team side comfortably beat their Bristol counterparts 14-5 in the Quarter Finals of the Lacrosse Championship. They progress to the Semi-Finals of the competition where they will face Nottingham Trent who overcame Leeds Beckett with easy 13-4.

Trent are perhaps the easiest of the Semi-Final opposition, with Manchester lucky to avoid favourites Durham. No matter the outcome, the side has done fantastically to overcome their poor form during the season and progress this far.

Elsewhere, the women’s hockey 1st side overcame a two-game losing streak as they beat a Liverpool John Moores side that has failed to win a game all season. The 4-1 scoreline should give the side confidence as they look to finish the season strong with their final game against Newcastle coming up soon.

The biggest match of the week came in the form of the men’s fencing team. There entered their Northern Conference Cup Semi Final against the University of Leeds on a seven-game win streak with victory taking them into the Final to play the University of York.

Fortunately they didn’t foil that streak, with a 133-111 scoreline in the glamorous surroundings of the Sugden Sports Centre putting the men’s side on a course for an epic finale to the season. Both sides finished their seasons unbeaten and so the climax, at Goodwin Sports Centre in Sheffield, is not an event to miss.

A game away: Spectating South Korea’s football culture

I attended the Yonsei v KU derby in Seoul, along with 50,000 other fans. It couldn’t have been more different from BUCS.

“You might have heard there’s a football match on” – The build-up to the 2022 World Cup’s biggest showdown yet

Southgate’s England take on reigning champions France this Saturday in a once-in-a-lifetime World Cup clash

The controversy continues: The OneLove armband U-turn

A look into the debate surrounding the Onelove armband controversy, highlighting the issues surrounding Qatar and its approach to LGBTQ+ rights.

No more heading the ball: The health hazards of the beautiful game

Scotland is leading the way in responding to football related head injuries