nicolewootoncane
2nd August 2019

Students “disappointed” after Magic Bus price increase

Stagecoach have confirmed that longer journeys on the 142 Magic Bus service to Didsbury will now cost £2
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Manchester students have expressed dismay after fares for longer single journeys on the 142 Magic Bus rose from £1.50 to £2 this July.

Over a thousand people have reacted to a post in Fallowfield Students’ Group by third-year German student Mandy Gao, notifying others of the changes.

“When I saw it had risen in price I was disappointed but not surprised”, Gao told The Mancunion. “I just moved back from a year in Germany two days ago, so imagine my surprise when I hopped on the bus and it was £2 now.”

This is the second price increase in the past two years as, in 2017, Stagecoach faced similar complaints after raising the price of a single ticket from £1 to £1.50.

Other students also expressed concern about the impact the fare increase would have on their weekly budgets, like second-year Politics and Modern History student Richard Marshall Lee:

“That extra 50p a trip is going to seriously dip into my food budget, it doesn’t sound like a lot but if you can’t afford a bus pass and you go everyday it adds up very quickly. Shame really”.

However, Stagecoach confirmed that the changes only applied to certain journeys on the 142 bus, tweeting: “Only the longer journeys on a 142 have increased to £2.00. We previously froze the fares on our magic buses during our price increase earlier this year.”

The Magic Bus covers routes popular with thousands of students a day – going from the city centre, down the Oxford Road Corridor and past institutions including the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester Metropolitan University and the University of Manchester into Fallowfield, and terminating in Didsbury.

The changes appear to have started on Sunday 21st July, with the Stagecoach website confirming that single fares will now range from £1.50 to £2.00 between 4 am and midnight.

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Deputy Editor of The Mancunion

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25