ellagerry

Climate change announced as the theme for Manchester Science Festival 2020

The festival will showcase a range of art commissions, immersive and participatory experiences, outdoor events and live debates in aid of the 2020 Year of Climate Action
Climate Crisis Photo: Li-An Lim @Unsplash

It has been announced that the theme for this year’s Manchester Science Festival, produced by the Science and Industry Museum, will be climate change. From October 23rd to November 1st   2020, the festival will showcase a range of art commissions, immersive and participatory experiences, outdoor events and live debates centred around responding to future climate challenges.

The festival’s theme will support the 2020 Year of Climate Action, which was launched earlier this month at the Science Museum by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, alongside guests such as Sir David Attenborough. The festival will take place just before the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26), where world leaders and roughly 30,000 delegates will convene in Glasgow to discuss the climate crisis.

2020 has already presented some bleak news for the climate; earlier this month, records showed both the highest daily average of carbon dioxide levels and the highest temperature ever recorded in Antarctica. Closer to home, flooding from Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis has inflicted havoc across the UK, serving as a reminder of our own vulnerabilities to the changing climate.

Sally MacDonald, Director of the Science and Industry Museum, said: “I’m delighted that Manchester Science Festival is back for 2020. The Science and Industry Museum is home to ideas that changed the world and it continues to inspire the future of scientific exploration and technological progress through its exhibitions, activities, and events. The Festival is a major part of this and will provide a compelling public program focusing on our altering climate.”

The festival will host world-leading voices in climate change and provide an insight into some of the cutting-edge technologies and developments at the forefront of combating climate change.

Organisers hope that the festival will help encourage important conversations about the climate crisis.

Science in the news: Sleepy penguins, record-breaking icebergs and the end of wine fraud

An AI sommelier, a remarkable sleeping habit and a giant iceberg are all covered in these stories of science in the news

Flying Green: The first transatlantic flight using 100% sustainable fuel jets off

The first transatlantic flight run on 100% sustainable fuel ran at the end of last year – it could be the start of more environmentally friendly travel

The rise of designer DNA: Yeast as a model organism

Researchers, including teams from the University of Manchester, have produced yeast with over 50% artificial genome

One of a kind: The science behind snowflakes

Perfectly unique snowflakes tell an interesting story of their path to the ground, led by probability and chance. A story of chemical bonds, mathematical probability and a sprinkle of physics; read on to find out how they are made.