sambronheim
22nd October 2021

Manchester City Council cancels free Bonfire Night events

Concerns over COVID-19 spread and control lead council to cancel Bonfire Night plans.
Photo: Ian Schneider @ Unsplash

Bonfire Night firework displays have been cancelled in Manchester for the second year in a row over COVID-19 safety concerns.

The council has cancelled the events in light of organisational complications, but also over fears of increasing COVID-19 spread.

Usually, the events attract tens of thousands of people. The council felt that with this large scale of visitors there was no feasibly safe way for the events to be managed. It also poses a challenge to validating the Covid-status of the attendees.

Manchester City Council had originally planned to host 8 free events on the 5th of November in numerous major parks across Manchester. This included the popular student spot, Platt’s Field Park.

Despite these cancellations, the council will permit private events to go ahead.

Residents on Twitter are already expressing their concern that the cancellation of the council-run events will lead to a rise in anti-social behaviour, such as the purchasing of unsafe fireworks or the illegal construction of bonfires in public spaces.

The council has encouraged those organising private plans to do so “safely and responsibly”.

Here are some other events still going ahead in Manchester this November that are worth exploring.

Sam Bronheim

Sam Bronheim

Co-Science Editor

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25