claramargotin2
3rd May 2022

UoM banned from transporting radioactive material

UoM banned from being a taxi for radioactive materials, but why?
Photo: Mark @ Flickr

On April 28, the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) issued a Prohibition Notice to the University of Manchester, to stop the institution transporting “radioactive material pending administrative improvements”.

The ONR observed “administrative shortfalls” in the transport compliance inspection they conducted on the campus’ premises on April 6 2022.

A spokesperson for ONR declared that “[ONR’s] inspection found there were potential risks involving radioactive material consigned by the university, and consequently we have issued the Prohibition Notice to cease transport of radioactive material until such time as these contraventions are remedied.”

The University of Manchester occasionally organises and operates the transportation of small quantities of radioactive components to other partner institutions, research centres, and laboratories.

However, following ONR’s inspection, which found that the University’s transport radiation risk assessment did not fully meet all the required ONR guidance, the University has been banned from transporting radioactive material.

In a statement given to the Manchester Evening News, the University says it is taking the matter “very seriously” and has decided to voluntarily stop transporting any kind of radioactive components.

The ONR indicated that there was no harm to students, staff, nor to the public or the environment. They suggested that the University would recover the right to transport radioactive material as soon as it would be able to meet the ONR’s guidance and notices again.

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies