• Culture
  • Music
  • Alfie Templeman releases ‘Leaving Today’ but certainly isn’t leaving the music industry anytime soon

serenajemmett

Alfie Templeman releases ‘Leaving Today’ but certainly isn’t leaving the music industry anytime soon

Serena Jemmett reviews the latest single from Alfie Templeman.

Fans are counting down the days until Alfie Templeman’s debut album Mellow Moon is due to be released, and in the meantime, Alfie Templeman blessed the world with his latest single ‘Leaving Today.’ ‘Leaving Today’ is the third song to be released from Mellow Moon, the other two being ‘Broken’ and ‘3D Feelings.’

Throughout the song, Alfie takes us on a journey, floating through different musical rhythms and patterns, ensuring there is not a dull or repetitive moment in ‘Leaving Today.’ The use of different rhythms is clever to keep listeners engaged given the shortening attention economy of society. The overall vibe of this track is chilled and mellow, yet its use of the changing rhythms gives it a groovy feeling and nature.

Starting off with a guitar loop before layering the sound with other instruments creates an enchantment and hypnotises his listeners for the duration of the song. With a solely instrumental opening for the first 40 seconds or so, the track is somewhat unusual for modern day songs. However, it passes quickly and lays the foundations for the song; these foundations being the groovy and ethereal sounds and therefore the creation of an ethereal atmosphere. This perfectly entices listeners to stream or purchase the upcoming Mellow Moon, an escape into an ethereal, groovy space where one can take a moment to just be, and to enjoy the length of a song with no worries or chores being thrown at them.

The final 40 seconds are solely instrumental with a stripped back, but still musically layered outro of 18 seconds. This somewhat mirrors the opening, creating a satisfying cyclical nature to the latest track.

Mellow Moon is out on 27th May, you can pre-order it here!

Read Serena’s interview with Alfie Templeman for The Mancunion here!

Serena Jemmett

Serena Jemmett

Serena is a national shortlisted Arts and Culture writer (SPA2022) with key interests in music, women’s rights, accessibility and politic’s influence in culture. With a passion to make social issues more accessible and digestible for the wider public, Serena’s broadcast talk show (Sez Says) on Fuse FM discusses a variety of topics from political matters, to fashion, to interviews with musicians. Check it out on instagram: @sezsays_radio; You can contact Serena on twitter @serenajemmett or instagram @serenaj69

Sweets at XOYO – interview and gig review

Serena interviews Sweets backstage at XOYO before he warms up the crowd for headliner NOISY
In conversation with Scouting for Girls’ Roy Stride

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy chats to Roy Stride, the lead singer of Scouting for Girls, about the band’s surprise success and incredible longevity
Live Review: Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall
Parklife 2022 Review: A celebration of Manchester plagued by poor sound

The Mancunion reviews Manchester’s Parklife festival – a varied line-up in Heaton Park on the weekend