lilywallen

Stagecoach works ‘magic’ to combat campus congestion

Stagecoach has announced that it will be running 55 more bus journeys per day along popular university routes after complaints of ‘congestion’ and long waiting times

Stagecoach has announced that it will introduce 55 extra journeys per day on the Magic Bus route from February onward.

Between Monday to Friday, the added journeys will run from Owens Park to Piccadilly in the morning and from Piccadilly to West Didsbury in the afternoon.

Stagecoach’s response comes amid feedback from students of congestion during peak travel hours, with thousands of students paying for yearly and termly travel passes that include the Magic Bus service. It has been described by Stagecoach as “making getting to and from university easier”.

One second-year PPE student said that an increased regularity of the Magic Bus service “will be extremely handy and efficient after long days on campus” and will also “help maintain student safety”.

The Magic Bus, described as “the economical and easy way to travel along Wilmslow Road and past popular student areas”, has increased prices since September.

As UoM’s first semester commenced, the fare for a DayRider rose to £4.50, whilst a week’s fare increased to £11.

Considering this, an Ancient History student at UoM reacted to the news of increased Magic Bus services by asserting that it is “positive for students as we can see that we are getting a service worth our money”.

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies