shikhartalwar

Students collect donations for Türkiye and Syria

In the wake of the earthquake in Türkiye and Syria, Manchester’s student societies have set up stalls for donations outside the student union building.
Photo: Shikhar Talwar @ Mancunion

In the wake of the earthquake in Türkiye and Syria, students host relief donations. They have set up stalls outside the Student Union building and are open to donations till February 10.

The stalls are put up by the Turkish and Northern Cypriot Society in association with the Islamic Society. They are asking that people bring in winter clothes, sanitary pads, diapers, blankets and food. Additionally, the societies have opened up a link for students to make financial decisions.

They say that on February 10 they will take all donations to the centre in Manchester. This centre will send it directly to people in Türkiye and Syria. However, the link will remain open for donations.

One of the stalls’ organisers said, “We hope that many come to donate. We are open to any donations you may have. If you have old clothes or if you can buy sanitary pads or tinned foods, everything will be appreciated.”

This relief effort has been set up in response to an earthquake in Türkiye and Syria, from which more than 20,000 people, as of Thursday, February 9, have died. The earthquake took place on February 6 and has left parts of the two countries destroyed.

Sandra donated two blankets, a warm coat and a packet of pads. She said, “It is horrible that things like these happen. But everyone should donate in every little way that they can to help the people in need.”

“Every little bit helps,” says Yusuf. “I do not have anything on me to donate today, so I have put in  £10. But I will be back tomorrow with some clothes.”

As of the end of the day on February 9, the Go Fund Me page set up by the society has received more than £5,700 in donations.

Shikhar Talwar

Shikhar Talwar

Hello! I am the MMG News Producer. My job is to ensure collaboration between all 3 wings of MMG, namely Mancunion, Fuse TV and Fuse FM. I also write for the news section at the Mancunion, with topics ranging from elections to protests.

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy

Pro-Palestine protest escalates as police forcibly remove protestors

The ongoing Pro-Palestine protest against the University heats up as Police are called in to move protestors, while the SU attempts to mediate the dispute