gracehilton

Co-op live: Manchester’s biggest indoor arena opens (nearly)

The Co-op Arena has finally opened, becoming the UK’s biggest indoor arena
Credit: Peter McDermott @ the geograph

Co-op Live has opened in Manchester, the biggest indoor arena in the UK.

The new arena cost £365m and has a capacity of 23,500 people and stands next to Manchester City’s football ground, Etihad Stadium.

The venue boasts sustainability considerations, such as solar panels, toilets that flush with rainwater, and reusable cups.

The venue is also donating “at least £1m annually” to support local and national causes.

Credit: Co-op Live Arena

The arena was set to host over 120 events a year, with musicians such as Olivia Rodrigo, Take That, Nicki Minaj and the Eagles originally confirmed for its opening season.

The opening has faced issues, however, with “ongoing technical issues.”

A test event was held on April 20, where Rick Astley took to the stage.

However, Saturday saw the cancellation of tickets for thousands of people who had been wanting to attend the Rick Astley event.

On April 22, Comedian Peter Kay was forced to postpone two shows at Co-op Live due to the arena’s power testing falling “a few days” behind schedule.

The comedian stated the following, “I’m truly gutted as I know how disappointing this will be for everyone with tickets, but obviously it’s a brand-new venue and it’s important that everything is finished and safe for full-capacity audiences.”

The shows are now postponed to May 23 and 24. Both shows are still expected to be held at the Co-op Live Arena.

Peter Kay was originally set to open the new Manchester venue, on April 23, after a 12-year hiatus.

Since its ‘opening’, concerts from Olivia Rodrigo and Keane have been postponed. Take That has moved their concert to the rival AO arena.

Guests were turned away from A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie’s gig, which was cancelled last minute after air conditioning parts fell from the gantry during a soundcheck.

The venue is part of the Oak View Group (OVG) in partnership with other partners, such as Harry Styles.

He has not yet confirmed whether he intends to hold future shows at the arena.

Events and tickets can be found on the Co-op live website.

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy

University archway vandalised with red paint

The vandalism occurred in the early hours of May 13 morning and is being investigated by Greater Manchester police, according to a University statement