katie-burns

Interview: Skiddle launches ’25 under 25’ initiative to discover new promoters

Katie Burns interviews Jimmy from Skiddle to talk about a new opportunity for young promoters

Clearly not content with simply selling tickets for tens of thousands of events all over the UK, leading ticket agency Skiddle recently unveiled a new competition. We spoke to Jimmy, Skiddle’s Head of Content and Communication, to figure out what exactly is going on.

The initiative, named ’25 under 25,’ aims to recognize and support a new generation of UK amateur music promoters and event managers. Through this initiative, Skiddle hope to find “the stars of tomorrow, and develop them.”

Unlike other ticketing websites that only focus on high-profile events, Skiddle has long been the champion of both established and up-and-coming event organizers. They maintain the ethos that “every single person who is selling tickets, irrespective of what it is for, deserves a good service.” They see ’25 under 25′ as an extension of this, and as an “investment in the industry’s future.”

According to Jimmy, Skiddle chose to do this competition as they have already seen many promoters develop since 2006, when they began selling tickets. Many talented promoters who they first worked with on smaller nights have gone on to do bigger and better things, and Skiddle sees ’25 under 25’ as a way of “finding and nurturing” this talent before it develops.

Despite this being their first formal competition, they hope to make it “something that carries on year upon year,” though possibly on a larger scale. Judging by the “strong entries” that have already come forward this year, it seems like there might be a lot of untapped talent in this area.

To be eligible a promoter has to have successfully ran one event between the start of the competition and Sunday the 14th of December, to have sold a minimum of 20 tickets with skiddle, and of course they must be under 25. From there, a shortlist of 25 people will be picked, and after new year one overall winner will be chosen from this group.

They will be given a variety of invaluable prizes in 2015, including a full year’s worth of ‘promotion pack’, which will be personally tailored to them and their event. This will include things like support promoting their event, mentoring from industry experts, and a load of Skiddle merchandise. All in all, it will end up as a kind of “promotion apprenticeship” that you wouldn’t be able to get anywhere else.

Even though the competition is not just open to student promoters, Jimmy says it would be perfect for them, as it is “based round the academic year,” and due to the flexible nature of the prize. Also, though the competition is being rolled out nationwide, Manchester residents have a good chance, due to it being a Skiddle “ticket stronghold,” and having such a vibrant music scene. So, a student from Manchester probably has a damn good chance!

As well as the competition and the internships they already offer, they are also looking into other ways of investing in young people “that show promise.”