Allen Hall is to remain closed for a third year running due to asbestos.
- » Number of Alumni Scholarships Reaches Record Levels
— The 2014/15 academic year will see around 700 students attend the university on alumni funded scholarships.
- » From negative to positive
— Following the implementation of austerity measures, the SU now has a budget surplus of £82,932.
- » Graphene sandwich could satisfy our hunger for designer materials
— The graphene juggernaut shows no sign of slowing down, as scientists discover yet another use for Manchester’s favourite wonder material
- » International Student Network takes over from Action Group
— Growing concerns about the effectiveness of the International Action Group have led to a redesign and relaunch at the end of September.
- » University climbs to 38th in Global Rankings
— Shanghai University academic rankings place The University of Manchester three places higher on global scale.
- » It’s Wednesday, Why Not!
— The Students' Union launch a new Student night on the 17th September—Why Not Wednesdays.
One of the University of Manchester’s newest of competitive teams, the fencing team, have proven to be no pushovers. Entered into a national beginners’ competition,...
- » Managerial Hunger Games
— Andrew Georgeson runs through the hardest football managers
- » Bets over Blade-Runner’s bullets
— Bookies Paddy Power cause online outrage after advertising bets for Oscar Pistorius's trial outcome
- » Should we allow a return to standing in English football stadia?
— YES- Thomas Turner I’m going to start this with a little game of Andrew Georgeson bingo. Get the full house, and the Mancunion Sport will...
- » Olympic dreams dashed for University alumni
— UK Sport withdraw funding for women’s water-polo, jeapordising trio’s Rio hopes
- » Khan he do it?
— Amir Khan has been voted fans’ favourite in an official online poll on who Floyd Mayweather’s next opponent will be
- » 2014: A year of sporting disasters waiting to happen
— Andrew Georgeson looks at the year ahead for sport
Comment Editors Marcus Johns and Morris Seifert argue either side of the debate over Scottish Independence
- » Subject snobbery is an obscure form of discrimination
- » Private Education—worth the cash?
- » Frustrating A-levels makes the prospect of university even better
- » GM crops: who controls the grain controls the world
Haider Saleem takes a look at what the Exec have planned for the Union during their year in office.
- » How Accurate is Fresh Meat’s Portrayal of Student Life?
- » Interview: Jim Jefferies
- » Apply to join The Mancunion in 2014/15 – Deadline extended
- » Interview: Bowel Cancer survivor Mark Davies
Sexually active? These services will offer help such as contraception, advice and information.
- » Depression: even students having the best time ever suffer from it
- » The big tattoo taboo
- » Is it really possible to have a long-distance relationship at uni?
So you’ve had a big night, you’ve got kebab in your hair and you look like an extra from The Mummy? Memorise these beauty tips so that you can strut to class with pride as opposed to shame in the am.
- » Summer Dresses for Every Shape
- » Nine inch nails
- » Here comes the sun…
On the 186th anniversary of Leo Tolstoy's birth, Alister Pearson remembers the life of the famous writer, philosopher and political thinker.
- » Portrait of an Author – Albert Camus (1913 – 1960)
- » Review: Helen Oyeyemi at the Anthony Burgess Foundation
- » The Rum Diary: Book vs. film