evie-hull
3rd November 2014

Access To Medicines Week

What if the medicines that could save your life cost a hundred times what you earn in a year?

Every year 10 million people die simply because they cannot access medicines that already exist.

A third of the world’s population does not have access to the most basic essential medicines and in the poorest regions of Africa and Asia this figure rises to one-half.

What can we do about this?

Universities Allied for Essential Medicines (UAEM) is a coalition of students and faculties across North and South America, Europe, Africa and Asia, united with the common goal of improving access to medicines in the developing world.

Our mission is to promote access to medicines and medical innovations in low and middle-income countries by changing norms and practices around academic patenting and licensing, supported by our own independent research. We aim to ensure that university medical research meets the needs of people worldwide, and that students are empowered to respond to the access and innovation crisis.

The 1st – 7th November 2014 marks Access to Medicines (A2M) Week, the week in which Universities Allied for Essential Medicines will be asking the public whether or not access to essential medicines is a luxury or a human right.

This upcoming A2M Week is our first campaign to run on university cities and campuses simultaneously throughout Europe. Our goal is to make university students and members of the public ask themselves, “how can I make an impact on the Access to Medicines crisis?” and assess the way their universities manage their policies in research and development.

UAEM Manchester welcomes you to find out more, and take part in our A2M Week events! We will be hosting a free screening of Fire in the Blood, a film about medicine, monopoly and malice, at 6pm on Thursday 6th November, Samuel Alexander A113. Here you can find out more about Access to Medicines issues and how you can campaign to make a difference.

For further information about the events happening during A2M week visit www.a2m-week.org, or e-mail [email protected].

Twitter: @uaem

Facebook: www.facebook.com/UAEMpage

Article provided by Georgia Liddle from Student Stop Aids Campaign.

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village