Enjoy the party

I go to a party, you offer me a toke, what do you want me to say? I say “No, thanks”, even though from the look on your face I suspect that’s not the etiquette. The truth is, I feel uncomfortable with drugs.

I go to a party, you offer me a toke, what do you want me to say? I say “No, thanks”, even though from the look on your face I suspect that’s not the etiquette. The truth is, I feel uncomfortable with drugs. But I feel like a bit of a kill-joy, saying no. You’re persistent “Go on, just a toke, it won’t do you any harm, help you relax.” You’re probably right, and most people are having some, but I don’t fancy it. Obviously, the fact that I don’t know you very well is part of the reason, but my main concern is that I don’t even know what’s in it.

That’s the only valid reason I can see for legalising drugs, proper labels would mean that you would know what’s in them and there would be trading standards.

It’s not all black and white, why do I have to be either for drugs or against them? We wouldn’t have a pro-life pro-choice debate at a party, so why this one? I wouldn’t class myself as anti all drugs; they just make me feel uneasy. Yet drugs have become such a staple of the student partying lifestyle that it’s become a taboo to say that. People look at you like you’ve reached middle age 20 years too early; they assume that you don’t know how to have fun. What a lot of people miss is that you’re having fun already and you don’t need drugs to do it. Friends that do take drugs may start to see them as an essential part of a night out, and begin relying on them, or worse, they take something and have a bad reaction. It could be that I’m wary of drugs because I have never tried them, and if they were legal I probably would. After all, I drink alcohol-, which some doctors argue is worse than cannabis.

There are many people that don’t drink though, and again there’s that silence in the room, people find abstinence a strange concept to grasp: If you drink, smoke, snort, pop, inject be in legal or illegal, there may well be some people in the room that might not want too, be it for health, social or personal reasons.  If they’re ok with you putting stuff in your body, be ok with them not.  And enjoy the party.

Why the SU is annoyingly unrepresentative

The Students’ Union from next year is worryingly unrepresentative with the removal of the International Officer and the introduction of a BAME Associate Chair
Why Liz Truss is taking you for a fool

Why Liz Truss is taking you for a fool

The recent mini-budget has shown the Tories are blatantly rigging the economy in favour of the super-rich – here’s how and why Liz Truss is taking you for a fool!
Why the BBC should think again before moving CBBC online

Moving CBBC to just online makes it inaccessible for kids who already are already being taught to consume TV like customers.
Halsey vs Capitol Records: Are record labels the bad guys?

After kicking off on TikTok and Twitter, singer Halsey has continued the age-long saga of artist vs record label. But record labels aren’t always in the wrong – here’s why