music

Live: Two Door Cinema Club @ Manchester Academy

4 Stars Its 7:30pm, and outside the union a group of teenage girls are shelling out £40 each for a ticket. Bearing in mind the normal price was £9.50, it’s not surprising the touts are laughing their heads off. It’s also no surprise to find that at least of half of the crowd is underage, […]

4 Stars

Its 7:30pm, and outside the union a group of teenage girls are shelling out £40 each for a ticket. Bearing in mind the normal price was £9.50, it’s not surprising the touts are laughing their heads off. It’s also no surprise to find that at least of half of the crowd is underage, and only they seem to enjoy the overly repetitive, overly brash, and distinctly unmelodic We Have Band’s supporting set.

But as soon as the opener ‘Cigarettes in the Theatre’, also the opening track from the band’s debut album Tourist History, kicks in, the entire crowd is bouncing up and down, not just those who are too young to remember the 90s. By the time second track ‘Undercover Martyn’ begins it’s a surprise to find that the floor hasn’t given way to the perfectly synchronised bouncing of the crowd.

A new, as yet unnamed, track offers more of the same dance-tinged indie expected of Two Door Cinema Club, and if possible is even more danceable than anything yet released. Lead singer Alex seems almost overwhelmed by the deafening cheers greeting his talks to the audience between each song. ‘Come Back Home’, the band’s latest single, is undoubtedly greeted with the biggest cheer of the night, and with good reason, it’s by the far and away the highlight, with not a glum face in the house.

After a little under an hour onstage the band finishes with ‘Now I Can Talk’, to rapturous applause. It may have got a little repetitive towards the end, but with only one album’s worth of material, there’s only so much for Two Door Cinema Club to draw upon. That having been said, the atmosphere was great, and no one could fault the Northern Irish trio’s effort levels; it’s been thoroughly enjoyable.

Charlie Rawcliffe, Music Editor

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT