music

Songs Sans Frontieres: Brazil

Brazil is big. Not just big, it’s fricking enormous. It’s the fifth largest country in the world, even bigger than Australia. So, what would you expect from a country that big? Well I can tell you – a whole lotta music. There is far too much to talk about for one little box, so I’ve […]

Brazil is big. Not just big, it’s fricking enormous. It’s the fifth largest country in the world, even bigger than Australia. So, what would you expect from a country that big? Well I can tell you – a whole lotta music. There is far too much to talk about for one little box, so I’ve decided to just cover the bigwigs and some of the key genres.

Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso and Seu Jorge are the giants of Brazilian music. Especially Gilberto Gil, he is a really big deal because he helped kick-start the tropicália movement with Caetano Veloso and he also used to be Minister of Culture. Carmen Miranda, the lady in the tutti-frutti hat, is also worth mentioning because she popularised Brazilian music (and Brazil in general) when she burst into Hollywood in the ‘30s.

Songs Sans Frontieres – Brazil

These stalwarts have all written lots of good stuff, so I thought I would focus on giving you a taste of a few of the genres. With great size comes great variety, apart from all the obvious genres (yawn) like Brazilian Rock, Brazilian Jazz etc.there are loads of others to get your teeth into like psychedelic tropicália, chilled out bossa nova, gyration-inducing samba and the more traditional sound of forró. Enjoy:

1. Mas Que Nada – Sérgio Mendes & Brasil ‘66 (bossa nova)
2. Petrolina – Juazeiro – Trio Nordestino (forró)
3. Ando Meio Desligado – Os Mutantes (tropicália)
4. Samba da Minha Terra – João Gilberto (samba)
5. Metamorfose Ambulante – Raul Seixas

Asia Lindsay, Music Editor

Manchester Artist Spotlight: pyncher

Manchester Artist Spotlight: pyncher

Get to know one of manchester hottest up and coming bands! pyncher give us the low down.
Cirque du Soleil: In conversation with Roger Hewett

Jessica Hamilton interviews band leader Roger Hewett ahead of Cirque du Soleil: Corteo’s residency at AO Arena
Live Review: Kim Wilde at Bridgewater Hall

Legendary singer Kim Wilde’s The Greatest Hits Tour played at Bridgewater Hall – where she was joined by China Crisis.
Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Mancunian rapper Aitch played an intimate album launch show, combining old favourites and new numbers for a sold out crowd.