The Handmaid’s Tale

This is certainly not an emotionally uplifting read, yet Atwood’s tale will leave you contemplating whether aspects of Gilead already exist in our modern society?

The Handmaid’s Tale takes place in the Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian state. The Republic has resorted to assigning fertile women, to the society’s prominent figures to ensure its survival after the plummeting birth rates. The reader is exposed to the harsh reality of the community through the narration of Offred, a handmaid who serves the Commander and his wife Serena Joy, in their attempt to produce a child. As she desperately clings to her previous identity, Offred discovers that her body is her only chance of surviving a regime wrought with corruption and deceit at every level. While Atwood’s style is easy reading, she doesn’t shy away from some graphic descriptions, which emphasise the oppression within the dystopian society. This is certainly not an emotionally uplifting read, yet Atwood’s tale will leave you contemplating whether aspects of Gilead already exist in our modern society?

Freshers Fables: Which book you should read depending on your new University accommodation

University accommodations come with a whole host of stereotypes; to break it down and give you some recommendations for some great books along the way, here’s every book to read depending on your new home
Literary landmarks: Five of Manchester’s best books

Whether you like fiction, non-fiction or something in between, Manchester has produced some incredible books. As hard as it is to narrow it to just five, this is a rounded look at some of the city’s literary landmarks
We Move: The debut collection by former Mancunion Books Editor Gurnaik Johal

We spoke to Gurnaik Johal about his new short story collection We Move and his experience as a student at The University of Manchester
Don’t judge a ‘blook’ by its cover

Don’t judge a ‘blook’ by its cover

What links a viral story about German tax on period products and an exploding gift?