music

Warehouse Project: Simian Mobile Disco Preview

With a supposed techno-based new album coming out later this year, SMD could be bringing a heavier sound to Warehouse than they ever have before. But still, expect plenty of analogue bleeping, and some of their Kitsuné remixes of Klaxons, Air and Muse. As SMD are in control of the whole line-up, it’s a bit […]

With a supposed techno-based new album coming out later this year, SMD could be bringing a heavier sound to Warehouse than they ever have before. But still, expect plenty of analogue bleeping, and some of their Kitsuné remixes of Klaxons, Air and Muse. As SMD are in control of the whole line-up, it’s a bit of a mixed bag of sounds, but with real class throughout. There’s ex-Primal Scream producer and Electro DJ Andy Weatherall, the thumping Disco sounds of Hercules and Love Affair, the minimalist electro of Paris’s Smagghe, and LCD Soundsystem remixers Holy Ghost.

So it may not turn out to be the most cohesive night on the calendar at Warehouse, but all the acts are top quality in their own niches, and if anywhere’s going to make a line-up like this work it’ll be The Warehouse Project.

Charlie Rawcliffe, Music Editor

Sweets at XOYO – interview and gig review

Serena interviews Sweets backstage at XOYO before he warms up the crowd for headliner NOISY
In conversation with Scouting for Girls’ Roy Stride

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy chats to Roy Stride, the lead singer of Scouting for Girls, about the band’s surprise success and incredible longevity
Live Review: Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall
Parklife 2022 Review: A celebration of Manchester plagued by poor sound

The Mancunion reviews Manchester’s Parklife festival – a varied line-up in Heaton Park on the weekend