31st March 2011

Seun Kuti and Egypt 80

Album Review Seun Kuti and Egypt 80 From Africa with Fury: Rise Because Music 4 Stars Nick Renaud-Komiya Having a famous father and living in their shadow is never easy. Just ask Jakob Dylan or Damian Marley. This brings us onto Seun, the son of Nigerian Afrobeat pioneer and famed political activist Fela Kuti. To […]

Album Review

Seun Kuti and Egypt 80

From Africa with Fury: Rise

Because Music

4 Stars

Nick Renaud-Komiya

Having a famous father and living in their shadow is never easy. Just ask Jakob Dylan or Damian Marley. This brings us onto Seun, the son of Nigerian Afrobeat pioneer and famed political activist Fela Kuti. To cap it all Seun isn’t even the only one of his illustrious pa’s offspring to become a musician. How does Kuti Jr fare? Pretty darn well, as it turns out.

From the opening moment of muscular opening track ‘African Soldier’ things are whacked up to fifth gear. It boasts horn stabs so sharp they could swipe your head clean off and sets the tone for the rest of this colourful record. By working with his dad’s old outfit, the Egypt 80, and employing the production talents of one Brian Eno, Kuti has managed to create a sound that is bolder and more adventurous than 2008’s promising Many Things.

The real weapon here is the Egypt 80, whom sound as professional and dynamic now as when they were lead by Fela.

The album’s seven songs, clocking in at a respectable 46 minutes, are a tasty collage of those ingredients that make Afrobeat so delicious; the tight rhythms, guitars set to ‘funk’ and yes, those horns. On top of these are Kuti’s astute lyrics, unloading his fury on the likes of African ‘strongmen’ and diamond mining companies. While not quite the rousing shouts for revolution that run through his dad’s ace tunes, Kuti nonetheless fills each song with a message. If ice cream vans and tannoy systems the world over played this kind of music every day, the world would be a happier place.

Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.
Manchester out of the running for Eurovision 2023

Liverpool and Glasgow go head-to-head as Manchester misses out on hosting Eurovision 2023.
Who are Liz Truss’ new Education Ministers?

On September 9, Liz Truss PM promptly appointed two new Ministers for Higher Education. Who are they and what are their intentions?