• Longsight market Taliban recruiters plan appeal

23rd September 2011

Longsight market Taliban recruiters plan appeal

Three men jailed for trying to recruit Taliban fighters from a stall in Longsight market are set to appeal.

Munir Farooqi, 54, who said that killing British torrps in Afghanistan was an ‘obligation’, was given four life sentences and his accomplices Matthew Newton, 29, and Israr Malik, 23, were jailed for six years.

“We will be visiting them to discuss these issues but I can confirm appeals are under consideration,” said Richard Egan, the lawyer representing the men.

It was reported by the Manchester Evening News that the men are considering challenging the police tactics, which consisted of secretly recording conversations and undercover surveillance.

They believe this was a contravention of their right to a private and family life, protected under the European Convention of Human Rights.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.