jemma-gibson

The MANCHESTER Egg?

National favourite gets a local remake

British favourite and picnic staple the Scotch Egg has been given a thoroughly Mancunian update. The Manchester Egg was created by web designer and amateur chef Ben Holden.

The snack comprises a pickled egg, wrapped in sausagemeat and Bury black pudding, coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

As well as being occasionally available at venues in the Northern Quarter and Chorlton, city centre favourite The Mark Addy has just added the Manchester Egg to their bar menu (it’s £4).

Denise, Assistant Manager at the Mark Addy said “it’s really popular; there is a lot of hype about the egg so it’s proving really successful”.

Fortnum and Masons invented the original Scotch Egg in 1738 and since then it has undergone a number of revivals. There is the Worcester Egg containing an egg pickled in Worcestershire sauce (of course), wrapped in sausagemeat and white pudding. In the United States, Scotch Eggs are served hot with various dipping sauces.

The Egg has its own website and Facebook page and its creator has a Twitter feed. With this much success it will surely be cracking a wider market soon, so there’s no excuse not to give it a try.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.