• Boy hit by police van – force are ‘devastated’

joshua-carroll
2nd October 2011

Boy hit by police van – force are ‘devastated’

Police are investigating the collision which left a 13-year-old in hospital

A 13-year-old boy is in a critical condition after being knocked down by a police van, which was responding to a call in Swinton, Greater Manchester.

The boy suffered a head injury and was taken to hospital yesterday at around 6.30pm.

The police officer who was driving the van has been suspended from driving duties.

Officers from the Forensic Collision Reconstruction Unit are examining the scene.

Greater Manchester Police have referred the case to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Assistant Chief Constable Ian Wiggett said, “Our thoughts are with the family of this little boy and we are devastated that while responding to try and help one person, another has been injured.

“We are carrying out a full investigation into the circumstances of the collision so we can establish exactly what happened.”

Joshua Carroll

Joshua Carroll

Joshua Carroll was a News Editor for The Mancunion (2010-2012). He has written for the Guardian, the Daily Mirror, and the Manchester Evening News. He won the NUS Student Journalist of the Year award in 2010.

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.