phoebe-chambre
2nd October 2011

This is Your Manchester

Your personally-tailored introduction to the arts page this year

Art wants YOU. Whether long-time inhabitant or newly enfranchised freshman to the walkways of Manchester, our introductory guide to Arts and Culture is specifically tailored to you. Your amusement. Your convenience. Your information. Your inspiration. Your diary. Because as we may or may not have demonstrated, there is something for everyone within the four walls of this city: our home. A town whose vast and varied cultural fare webs out from the same central point: that of our curious city itself. Everyone, from Manchester Art Gallery, with their Ford Madox Brown Manchester years special, to CUBE’s spatial integration, and Islington Mill’s milling-class roots, seems to want a piece of the action. Not content with merely being based in Manchester, the galleries seem to want to display artists who want to engage with urban living; what it means to live in Manchester, what it means to visit Manchester, and how interpretations have ranged and changed. And guess what? As residents of this fair city, which, you may not have noticed, has quite a few students, we make a sizeable mouthful of Mancunians. Honorary Mancunians, at least. And as Mancunians, we at The Mancunion want your input. So input your thoughts: comment on our website, write to us, write for us, draw us something, take a photo, tell us what inspires you, makes you angry, or patriotic, or happy. And if you don’t like us (on facebook), at least like your city. Because its right here, under your feet.
Email us at [email protected]
Come to our weekly meeting, Tuesdays at 5pm

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own