lily-howes

You’ll be there for me?

The channel switch that has ruined student schedules everywhere.

It’s happened. They’ve done it. Friends has ditched Freeview, bailed on E4 and moved on to the much swankier and more exclusive, Comedy Central.

News of this move was broken to the nation back in February last year so it’s been something we’ve been anticipating for a while but that doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking.

Freeview is standard for student houses but Sky or Virgin, where Comedy Central resides, is for the privileged only.

Now its replacement, Scrubs, is all well and good but when you got in from uni after traipsing through the rain and sweating it out on a Magic Bus it was nice to know you could switch on E4 for a double (or even triple!!) bill of your favourite American chums.

That comfort is now exclusively reserved for those shelling out on cable TV.

What do we do now?! How do we get by on a day-to-day basis without a generous helping of Joey and they gang? I wish I had an answer for you, I truly do. I’m just going to go back to my box set and pretend that the whole sordid switch over never happened instead.

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

A student-friendly guide to exploring Leeds

Only an hour train journey away from Manchester, Leeds is another great student city well worth a visit!
What’s on in Manchester this July?

What’s on in Manchester this July?

Check out what’s happening in Manchester this July with our guide! We’ve got club nights, culture kicks, music madness and more.
A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

The Mancunion has compiled a comprehensive guide to Fallowfield Halls of Residences to help freshers pick their new home.
A student guide to Sheffield

A student guide to Sheffield

Spending the Summer in Manchester? Find out what Sheffield has to offer as part of our student-friendly travel guide