lily-howes

You’ll be there for me?

The channel switch that has ruined student schedules everywhere.

It’s happened. They’ve done it. Friends has ditched Freeview, bailed on E4 and moved on to the much swankier and more exclusive, Comedy Central.

News of this move was broken to the nation back in February last year so it’s been something we’ve been anticipating for a while but that doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking.

Freeview is standard for student houses but Sky or Virgin, where Comedy Central resides, is for the privileged only.

Now its replacement, Scrubs, is all well and good but when you got in from uni after traipsing through the rain and sweating it out on a Magic Bus it was nice to know you could switch on E4 for a double (or even triple!!) bill of your favourite American chums.

That comfort is now exclusively reserved for those shelling out on cable TV.

What do we do now?! How do we get by on a day-to-day basis without a generous helping of Joey and they gang? I wish I had an answer for you, I truly do. I’m just going to go back to my box set and pretend that the whole sordid switch over never happened instead.

Lily Howes

Lily Howes

Former Lifestyle Editor at The Mancunion (2011-2012). English Literature and Drama graduate. Originally from Croydon, South London. If you don’t fancy being hounded to sign up for Blind Date then do avoid me at all costs (however if you are interested in taking part then e mail [email protected])

Did you know that there’s a spa under Simon Building

Rumour has it that deep in the depths of UoM lies a hidden spa. Why? We cannot say. But should you embark on an adventure to find it? Absolutely.

Three years at university: What have I learnt?

As the academic year draws to a close, here are some of the more unexpected lessons I have learnt from three years at Manchester University

How do we tackle the student loneliness crisis?

At a university where 45,000 students cross paths every day, it should be impossible to feel lonely

Keeping on top of the news cycle: How to stay up to date as a student

Being a student can mean an incredibly busy schedule, so how can you make time to find out what’s happening in the world?