rob-fuller

Reading Festival 2011

One of the UK’s biggest and most popular festivals returned this year with headline acts Muse, My Chemical Romance and The Strokes, but who stood out and who just flopped?

Reading

Little John’s Farm, Richfield Avenue, Reading

26th-28th August 

Standout Act

A lot of people reacted negatively to the Reading line-up this year. Anyone who’s seen Muse live will tell you that it was a stupid reaction to have. Now I’ve never been a huge Muse fan but it’s hard not to be convinced when you see their huge live show, performing “Origin Of Symmetry” in full. It’s Rock Opera at its finest, and I’m not talking Mamma Mia.

Biggest Flop

Beady Eye. As much of a rock star as Liam Gallagher is, it just sounds like tired, subpar Oasis. Not “Definitely, Maybe” Oasis either – Oasis that should have retired long a go. Apart from the hardcore Liam fans, the crowd wasn’t falling for it.

Surprise Package

Grouplove, Festival Republic stage. American indie art-rockers whose single “Colours” has had some airplay. Surprisingly, the live show and the other songs were memorable too. Definitely a band to watch for the year ahead.

Atmosphere

It’s Reading. Even though it rained for days on end you know before you arrive you’re going to have a good time. It’s a friendly crowd, if you can handle the occasional bottle of warm piss thrown around and fanatical Muse and MCR fans wearing nothing but band merchandise.

Worth The Money?

Like every major festival, the price has basically doubled in the last decade. But, with three days of quality music and this year having 4 main-stage headliners, as well as 4 other stages, you can’t really go wrong.

Rob Fuller

Rob Fuller

Rob Fuller is a senior political and music correspondent for The Mancunion. A third year student of PPE at the University of Manchester, Rob’s interests include British politics and going to as many gigs as possible.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark