flora-anderson

21st October: Best in Standup

Manchester’s comedy store has been open since 2000 and, like its sister stage in London, is one of the most established venues in comedy. Best in Standup is one of the club’s weekly shows. Compare Ben Norris was relaxed and irreverent, and did the usual crowd warm up banter with ease and fast-paced wit. Opener […]
21st October: Best in Standup

Manchester’s comedy store has been open since 2000 and, like its sister stage in London, is one of the most established venues in comedy. Best in Standup is one of the club’s weekly shows.

Compare Ben Norris was relaxed and irreverent, and did the usual crowd warm up banter with ease and fast-paced wit.

Opener Michael Fabbri’s jokes often erred on the offensive-but-not-quite-funny-enough side, relying on pretty generic material on the Internet and domestic routine for bigger laughs.

Andrew Bird, by contrast, made similar subject matter hilarious. He was relatable, sharp and had great energy, livening up the whole audience with jokes about video recording and MTV sign language interpreters.

Rob Deering’s guitar goofiness was fast paced and filled with quick one liners and pun-tastic song titles, ending on a failsafe acapella techno dance routine.

Paul Tonkinson was the crowd favourite doing jokes on ecstasy in the 90s, and a torrent of impressions about his ‘lardy wife’ and their sex life which was frankly hilarious.

The night was a success for classic, unchallenging standup. Tonkinson and Bird made the night for me and, although not pushing any boundaries the Comedy Store was stocked with a great fun-filled atmosphere.

Review: Oti Mabuse – I Am Here

Review: Oti Mabuse – I Am Here

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Oti Mabuse’s I Am Here at the Lowry
The Lady Boys of Trafford

The Lady Boys of Trafford

The Lady Boys of Bangkok (complete with the newly made-over Sabai Pavilion) comes to the Trafford Centre as part of its brand-new Summer of Fun UK tour
The Boys are coming to the Bridgewater Hall

Here Come The Boys, which stars Strictly Come Dancing’s Graziano, Nadiya, Nikita Pasha and Karim, is coming to the Bridgewater Hall
There’s been a Double Murder at HOME

There’s been a Double Murder at HOME

Hofesh Shechter Company (lead by Hofesh Shechter, OBE) returns to HOME with Double Murder – a double bill made up of Clowns and The Fix