news-editor

Nearly 500 colleges lose right to accept foreign applicants

Visa abuse threatens acceptance of international students to colleges and universities

British vice chancellors say the reputation of the country’s universities is at risk because of curbs on international students, which have prevented nearly 500 colleges from accepting overseas candidates.

Universities UK, the umbrella group representing vice chancellors, says the UK may not appear “open for business” because of a government clampdown on abuses of the student visa system.

The Home Office said, “So far, 474 colleges have lost their right to recruit international students after they failed to sign up for the new inspection system.”

Nicola Dandridge, Chief Executive of Universities UK, said, “Visa abuse within the university sector remains very low and universities are continuing to work closely with the UKBA.”

Although the reforms relate to pre-degree courses, Universities UK believes they will have a negative effect on higher education because 40 percent of Britain’s international students attend a UK college before applying to university.

The Home Office said the affected colleges “could have brought more than 11,000 students into the UK to study each year,” adding that a related UKBA investigation into 100 colleges led to 51 licenses being revoked and 4,500 applications being refused as a result.

The investigation came after a “surge in applications from South Asia” just before rules demanding better English language skills were tightened earlier this year.

Immigration Minister Damian Green said, “The changes we have made are beginning to bite. Too many institutions were offering international students an immigration service rather than an education.”

Last week the Home Office was threatened with legal action for implying that 22 colleges were fronts for illegal immigration.

English UK, representing over 450 English Language colleges, has demanded a retraction and an apology for the comments.

Ms Dandridge said, “The numbers of international students coming in to the country should be accounted for separately and not included in the definition of net migration for the purposes of government policy.”

She added, “The vast majority of international students return home once their studies are completed, and those that do not, need to reapply for a separate visa.”

Next April the Home Office will close the post-study work route, which allows overseas students to work after graduation. Those hoping to find a job in the UK will need to apply for a regular work visa.