danielle-middleton

Manchester premiers comedy film festival

On 31st October and 1st November 2011, Manchester’s very own Comedy Store hosted the very first Short Film Comedy Festival, Cofilmic. The Mancunion was kindly invited to the events on the Tuesday evening to view a series of short comedy films followed by the award ceremony. Cofilmic was set up by Janet Harrison after her […]

On 31st October and 1st November 2011, Manchester’s very own Comedy Store hosted the very first Short Film Comedy Festival, Cofilmic. The Mancunion was kindly invited to the events on the Tuesday evening to view a series of short comedy films followed by the award ceremony.

Cofilmic was set up by Janet Harrison after her own first comedy short gained recognition last year. Her own success inspired Janet to set up the festival because quite unbelievably, there is nothing of its kind currently out in the big bad world. The aim of the festival is to allow writers, producers and directors of comedy to learn from those they aspire to while simultaneously gaining recognition in the field with the screening of their own creations.

The two day event consisted of a selection of panellists in the comedy film industry including:

Dave Spikey (remember Phoenix Nights? He was Jerry the Berry)

Charlie Hanson, BAFTA winning producer whose recent credits include Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant’s TV series Extras, as well as their film Cemetery Junction

Jon Mountague, BBC Comedy North executive producer 

Leslee Udwin, East is East and recently released sequel West is West producer 

Don Ward, founder of The Comedy Store

Lindsay Hughes, Executive Producer and Head of Talent, Baby Cow

Andy Baker, Managing director of global filmmakers community Mofilm

Henry Normal, co-founder of Baby Cow

The panellists answered questions from the audience in free entry Q&A sessions during the day, in the run up to the short films screened in the evening.

The quality of the films was outstanding, in my none-professional opinion, we laughed hysterically therefore it was good.  

If this catches your eye thus far here are your award categories for next year and who won what this year:

Best Sketch- Publishing

Best Sitcom Pilot- Box

Best Comedy Short- We are what we drink

Audience voted- Bronte, Dwaine Chambers, Office Orphan and Buzz Dish. 

The evening was a corker, the Comedy Store is a wonderfully fun venue any day of the week but chuck in free fish and chips in a cone and a comedy after-party and job done. The atmosphere was jolly as expected but even better there was an immense amount of enthusiasm added to the vibe, with everyone we spoke to thrilled to be at such event.

Janet said at the awards: “Thank you to all the sponsors, 2 Entertain and partner companies, particularly The Comedy Store who’ve been amazing.

“We’ve managed to attract people who are genuinely interested in the event.

“We need to keep the momentum going because we can create something really unique here.”

danielle middleton

danielle middleton

Former arts editor (2011-2012).

Review: Please Feel Free to Ignore My Work by David Hoyle

This month, Factory International’s Aviva Studios welcomes renowned artist David Hoyle, in a three week residency spanning multiple art forms.

Making Manchester #1: Anna Marsden

We’re kicking off our new feature, Making Manchester, by quizzing photographer Anna Marsden about her practice and what inspires her.

Four women who make the art world a better place

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2024, we asked our writers to tell us a bit about their favourite women artists.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?