frances-roach

Album: I Am the Avalanche – Avalanche United

A solid record full of punchy choruses and energetic integrity.

I Am The Avalanche
Avalanche United
I Surrender Records
4 stars

Six years after their last release, their debut self titled album back in 2005, the Brooklyn quintet I Am The Avalanche are back with a belter. Avalanche United sees a significant magnitude of progress from where they left off and is apparent from the get go with opening track ‘Holy Fuck’, evidencing their objectives in the lyrics ‘shut your mouth, and pay your rent, and make a record they’ll never forget’. No doubt, this album is rather promising in helping the band get back onto the pop punk radar.

Standout tracks consist of upbeat efforts ‘Is This Really Happening?’, ‘Brooklyn Dodgers’ and ‘You’ve Got Spiders’, the latter two they have been playing live for quite some time, blasting out the perfect pop punk formula for a chorus. ‘Amsterdam’ provides an insight to the memories created from the road and the eagerness to get back out to the places they’ve conquered during past tours.

Background gang vocals add to the imminent sense of unity within the band and the strong connection they have managed to maintain with their followers despite the lack of band activity within the past few years. A solid record throughout filled with punchy choruses and melodies whilst producing a good balance of perfectly raw vocals and energetic integrity. With a newly announced UK pre-Christmas tour taking place (the first time returning to England in 6 years), this record is certain to please the fans gained from previous releases and no doubtedly will be successful in gaining another swarm of highly impressed listeners.

Olivia Dean live in Manchester: A joyful “warm hug” in performance

Performing songs from her debut album and beyond, Olivia Dean wowed Manchester’s Saturday-night crowd with a mix of joyful performance and stunning vocals

Post-Punk: Why it needs to die, and what’s next

Having dominated the focus of alternative radio for several years, Post-Punk has reached peak saturation and must make way for something new

Tate McRae live in Manchester: A pop megastar in the making

At just 20 years old, pop sensation Tate McRae delivers an incredible live performance in Manchester for her THINK LATER world tour

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department: The New Testament (Taylor’s Version)

For those who are willing to commit to the journey, The Tortured Poets Department is an indie-Swift Bible