naila-missous

I love it; I love it not

The loving and loathing of linguistics and literature

I have a love hate relationship with my degree. I can’t deny the fact that my allegiance swings between the two subject matters quicker than a moody teenager.

“I’ll apply for Literature AND Linguistics! It combines my two passions and well, I’m quite good at languages and reading loads”. Little did I know, I’d get to University and realise that, in actual fact, I’m not top of the class like I was back in A levels.

I started first year apprehensively: the literature appeared of easy grasp (apart from you Oronoko, I don’t like you) and I thought “I know a few of these titles, I should be fine!”

It became clearer as the year went on that indeed I had befriended Linguistics, developed my love for it and thus cheated on Literature quite openly. I’m sorry Literature.

Oh Linguistics. How I enjoyed knowing the distinction between dialectal differences in American English and British English. I even worked extra hard on learning the difference between diphthongs and monophthongs; knowing how to write the vowels in the phonetic alphabet and everything.

“This is great” I thought. “I’ll balance my degree so that Linguistics outweighs Literature. I have this down.”

I’m in second year now. I still study Literature and Linguistics.

I love my free choice module in Middle Eastern politics more than anything.

naila missous

naila missous

Former lifestyle editor (2011-2012).

A ‘quarter-life crisis’?: Finding your feet after a break-up

Do you feel like you are experiencing a ‘quarter-life crisis’ in your final year? Have you experienced a break-up? Read on to find out how you can find your feet in these (perhaps not so) difficult times

Little luxuries that make uni life more bearable

Treat yourself! Life as a university student isn’t always easy, but some things can make it that little bit more enjoyable

How to live a European lifestyle in Manchester

Life in Manchester may feel very different to continental Europe, but with our compilation of advice, you won’t feel so far from other European cultures as a student in the city

Why you don’t need New Year’s resolutions in 2024

With every New Year comes the same pressure to set resolutions and make personal changes, but this needless pressure won’t provide the route to fulfilment