phoebe-clark

Preview: Fenech-Soler

In preparation for their Apollo gig, Phoebe Clarke has a chat with Fenech-Soler’s Ben Duffy.
Preview: Fenech-Soler

Fenech-Soler
Manchester Apollo on 1st December

Looking towards their approaching UK tour supporting Example and the possibility of a second studio album next year, I caught up with upcoming synth-based band Fenech-Soler to talk about their self-titled debut album and plans for the future.

Electropop 4-piece Fenech-Soler are an interesting band. Despite not being that widely known, they are no strangers to some previous success. Their track ‘Stop and Stare’ was named by BBC Radio 1 DJ Greg James as ‘Record of the Week’ whilst they have much previous success in remixing tracks for other artists.  In fact, lead singer Ben Duffy helped provide the vocals for Groove Armada’s track ‘Paper Romance.’ Their debut album is certainly underappreciated, with tracks such as ‘Golden Sun’ and ‘Lies’ acting as great weekend anthems and Duffy tells me “after a lot of success in remixing, we are keen to promote the band’s own material.”

Naming acts such as Manchester University’s-own The Chemical Brothers as the inspiration for their debut album, but with other clear influences from genres such as French house on tracks such as ‘The Great Unknown’, I ask Duffy about the direction of the band’s material for the future.  “We would love to release a second studio album for around June of next year”.  However this album will be taking a new direction.  “Whilst we will be maintaining our identity of big choruses, electronic music is changing and we have to adapt.”

I was pleased to hear how the band’s favourite past gig was in Manchester at our own Academy 2 and Fenech-Soler will be returning to the city on the 1st December to perform at Manchester’s O2 Apollo. With their mixture of sythns and real instruments on stage and top-notch material from their first album, it will be a show not to be missed.

Phoebe Clarke

Phoebe Clarke

Saxophonist, Composer/Arranger and current Music student at the University of Manchester. Phoebe has been writing for the Music section of the Mancunion since 2011 and was appointed editor in September 2013.

Sweets at XOYO – interview and gig review

Serena interviews Sweets backstage at XOYO before he warms up the crowd for headliner NOISY
In conversation with Scouting for Girls’ Roy Stride

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy chats to Roy Stride, the lead singer of Scouting for Girls, about the band’s surprise success and incredible longevity
Live Review: Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Macy Gray and the California Jet Club at Albert Hall
Parklife 2022 Review: A celebration of Manchester plagued by poor sound

The Mancunion reviews Manchester’s Parklife festival – a varied line-up in Heaton Park on the weekend