hannah-mead

Interview: Lisa Hannigan @ St. Phillips Church

As lovely as gigs in churches can be, Lisa Hannigan’s set needs less restriction and more sweatiness.

Lisa Hannigan
St Phillips Church
25th November
3 Stars

Lisa Hannigan’s speaking voice is almost as beautiful as the vocals on her second album, Passenger. She speaks so softly that at times it’s almost a whisper and my clumsy accent sounds crude in comparison. We covered a variety of subjects, from favourite venues, home, touring, the album, artwork, university and more. She really does seem to have a brilliant life; she tours with those nearest and dearest to her, describes tour as a summer holiday and speaks of their week in Wales recording the album with nostalgic longing. Today she is having a bit of an off-day, feeling cold and tired, which the rest of the band respond to with “extreme slagging off”. In general, however, she seems to be enjoying it all.
I was surprised to learn that a church would not have been her first choice of venue. I had imagined that a church would be the ideal setting for her music and given how many bands and artists tour churches now, there must be something that attracts them to it. There is an intimacy that comes from being in a church and given that they are generally beautiful buildings, it is fitting to listen to beautiful music inside them.
“It’s really nice to sing in a church because it’s so designed for singing. But in general I really like standing gigs, when people are kind of up close. [In churches] there’s this huge gap down the middle. I don’t want to be negative, I mean, I’ve had some lovely gigs in churches, I’m really looking forward to tonight, it’s beautiful, but I like a mix and certainly it wouldn’t be my absolute favourite.”

Watching Hannigan’s set, I could see where she was coming from; we were miles away from the stage, lined up on uncomfortable benches in a venue where you feel naughty for saying the f-word. She needs a venue that is less restricting, where she can be at ease and feel freer. I felt detached from the music that I love on the album and couldn’t help but feel she would have been happier in a sweaty little club, with her crowd standing at her feet.
Nevertheless, the church crowd still loved her and the music was faultless. The highlight for me had to be ‘Safe Travels (Don’t Die)’, which has the perfect combination of witty lyrics and deep, delicate vocals.

Lisa Hannigan – Knots

Northern Music Awards 2024: Celebrating breakthrough acts, chart-topping superstars, and the people behind the scenes

Celebrating northern music in all of its charm, Nordoff and Robbins host the 2024 Northern Music Awards in Manchester’s city centre