laura-brangwin

Get your skates on

I couldn’t have picked a worse time to come. In blustery Spinningfields on a Saturday evening, crowds gathered to hit the rink. Despite 12 sessions a day we managed to pick the busiest time. Capacity can reach up to 150, and this is when the rink turns into a skating warzone, picking over the casualties […]

I couldn’t have picked a worse time to come. In blustery Spinningfields on a Saturday evening, crowds gathered to hit the rink. Despite 12 sessions a day we managed to pick the busiest time. Capacity can reach up to 150, and this is when the rink turns into a skating warzone, picking over the casualties as you glide to festive bliss. My all-season advice: avoid peak family times.

Those first few steps may be shaky but at the beginning everyone is clinging to the edge for dear life. With an hour’s practice only £7.50 with a student card there’s time to improve and get your money’s worth. If you’re really Bambi-legged on the ice, I recommend a quick pit-stop at the Moose Bar for some warming liquid courage.

With festive songs in the background, cinnamon wafting and staff all kitted out in knitted jumpers, the rink has all the hallmarks of a Christmas card. However, beware the cute kids. You may feel inclined to help keep them from falling over, but they have no morals; they’ll pull you down with them. Just step right over them and keep on gliding.   

40 Years of the Future: Painting abstract exhibition review

The abstract and the figurative collide in the thought-provoking first installation of Castlefield Gallery’s 40th Anniversary celebrations

We’re kicking off our new feature, Making Manchester, by quizzing photographer Anna Marsden about her practice and what inspires her