sigourney-fox

The North Pole does it better

Being a student does not mean that an appreciation for this cultural magnet cannot be upheld. Despite propping up one or two of the real pillars of Christmas, North Pole is, for a bar, surprisingly not all about the religious holiday. Under all the tinsel, it’s a place for family and friends to gather together […]
The North Pole does it better

Being a student does not mean that an appreciation for this cultural magnet cannot be upheld. Despite propping up one or two of the real pillars of Christmas, North Pole is, for a bar, surprisingly not all about the religious holiday. Under all the tinsel, it’s a place for family and friends to gather together and enjoy the season.

When a bar lined in fur and tinsel awaits it’s hard not to instantly fall in love with this Mancunian Christmas beauty, especially if your heart is already aglow with the joy of the most wonderful time of the year.

Still trying desperately not to sound like an advert but rather a woman merrily possessed with Christmas glee: whether it’s 2 for 1 cocktails or mulled wine that you need to get into the Christmas spirit, the North Pole Bar situated in Cathedral Gardens has a variety on offer. The bar and its knit-clad crew are just waiting for you to get down there and check out Parky the Polar Bear (this is not a joke) for yourselves.

The warm and friendly atmosphere redolent in the beverages is matched by the wooden chalet room, inviting you into what can only be described as a scene from the movies. A picture of a burning log fire, cosy seating, and an inviting atmosphere, coupled with classic pop and dance music. This is how we do Christmas, Manchester-style. What better, and relevant, way to celebrate the festive season than with a spiced Rum Punch and some good old Brit Pop music?

University launch British Pop Archive with unseen items from Joy Division’s Ian Curtis

Announcing the British Pop Archive at the university’s very own John Rylands Library. Including artefacts from Joy Division’s Ian Curtis, New Order, the Sex Pistols, and Granada Television.
Derek Jarman: PROTEST! Art and Activism collide at Manchester Art Gallery

Sarah Taylor reviews Manchester Art Gallery’s retrospective exhibition on the life and works of prolific filmmaker, artist, and activist Derek Jarman.
Michelangelo in Manchester: Sistine Chapel comes to Trafford Palazzo

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy attends a press viewing of the Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel exhibit at Trafford Palazzo
MACFEST, Muslim Arts and Culture Festival, comes back to Manchester this February

Launching on the 5th of February, MACFEST 2022 offers over 75 events that showcase the Muslim culture, from debates to workshops and art exhibitions