frances-roach

Album: Four Year Strong – In Some Way, Shape or Form

Not an astounding effort from the pop punk quartet but impressive enough.

Four Year Strong
In Some Way, Shape or Form
Decaydence Records
3 stars

Many people had already made their minds up about this record before it was even released, or were hesitant at the least. With a departure of keyboardist Josh Lyford, the band had the task of creating a standard, expected from their long term followers, Four Year Strong who will be wanting to progress to a wider array of listeners, have produced a rather good selection of songs. Not astounding from a typical pop punk album by any means, but still pretty impressive.

Blasting straight into ‘The Infected’ with enough punch for an undecided listener to continue on, it is evident that the now four piece are still true to their sound. Single ‘Stuck In The Middle’ is one of the stand out tracks, along with ‘Falling on You’, both of which have received their fair share of streaming across social networks over recent months.

The raspy vocal interchanges between bearded frontmen Alan Day and Dan O’Connor always brings an additional value to the rhythmic set of guitars and solid drumming, most apparent in tracks ‘Unbreakable’ and ‘Fight The Future’. A response to those doubting their efforts? Just take a listen to ‘Fairweather Fan’, where they shout out “You’re becoming what I hated, close-minded and jaded about what isn’t yours”, whilst also giving a shout out to their previous album, Rise Or Die Trying.

The disappointment is ‘Just Drive’, which sounds like a filler track- mediocre verses with a chorus only slightly better.  However, recovering from this with final track ‘Only The Meek Get Pinched, the Bold Survive’ shows the bands softer side, creating a softer melodic piece with an anthemic chorus that is most likely to be sang back to them at their future shows.

Overall, a good addition to the Four Year Strong music stream of powerful pop punk.

Nuevos Discos, Nuevas Drogas: Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado Live Review

Antonio goes down to Camden to photograph Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado on their return to the UK.
Beth Orton Charms at the AO Arena

Beth Orton Charms at the AO Arena

Owen Scott reviews Beth Orton’s set, as she opened for Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill anniversary tour at the AO Arena.
Oh My God!: John Digweed at Manchester Cathedral

Millie Sheppard reviews a riveting set from Manchester Cathedral’s resident DJ John Digweed.
Madonna gets into the groove with ‘Finally Enough Love’

Owen Scott reviews the dance collection ‘Finally Enough Love’ by the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna.