jack-burke

Player Profile – Claire Shutler

UMWRFC Scrum Half and University of Manchester Sports Scholarship Athlete
Player Profile – Claire Shutler

How did you first start playing Rugby?
My dad used to play for one of the local clubs and we used to go and watch him every weekend, I decided it looked like fun. I started off at Saracens when I was 6, playing with the boys until I was 12 before we started our own girls section at the club, I played there until I came up to Manchester.
Who is the player who has most inspired you?
It would probably be Maggie Alfonse the England flanker who is probably the most famous player in women’s rugby. She started at Saracens and worked her way up through the system just like I have. In terms of the most inspirational player I have played with it has to be England U20 Emily Scott who I played with at club and regional level. She was an excellent skipper.
How have your regional trials gone?
I have got into the North of England Ladies squad having coming through the Lancashire squad and been nominated to go up to the next level where there was a tough 5 hour trial. Luckily I got selected. I went down to a training weekend recently in preparation for 3 matches the first of which is against the South East this weekend. I have also trialled for the Englands U20’s twice now and haven’t got in but I’m only 18 so hopefully I’ve got a few more opportunities to do that and ultimately the dream would be to play for the full national team.
How have you enjoyed your first year in Women’s rugby setup here in Manchester?
I absolutely love it, there a really good team and really nice girls. We’re not doing badly this year after having to pretty much start our team from scratch at the beginning of the season. There are lots of freshers in the side but we’re progressing well and have settled in mid table of our league while we also got through to the second round of the cup, so it’s all going well for us.
What are the advantages of being on the Sport’s scholarship programme?
The one individual conditioning training is absolutely brilliant and has really helped me develop my game. The £500 you get is also great as there are so many expenses in sport. I used to it to pay for my divisional trials and it’s also a real help when paying for kit, travel and club subscriptions.
What is your favourite AU outfit?
We’ve done so many good ones! I think my personal favourites were probably snowmen and Garden Gnomes, we’re doing Mr Bump tonight which should be good!

Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?
Billionaire business owners: What are they doing to football?

How has a working class sport become plagued by greed? 
The issue of women’s pay in sport: The fight for fairness in a male dominated field

These are signs that women’s sport is going in the right direction, but do not be fooled. There is still plenty of work to do.