• Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell to advise Prime Minister on science and technology

ellen-conlon

Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell to advise Prime Minister on science and technology

David Cemeron has appointed Dame Rothwell to co-chair the Council for Science and Technology

President and Vice-Chancellor of The University of Manchester, Dame Nancy Rothwell has been appointed as the Co-Chair of the Council for Science and Technology (CST) by the Prime Minister David Cameron.

The Council advises the Prime Minister on strategic science and technology policy issues that affect the responsibilities of individual government departments.

Dame Nancy, a neuroscientist and President of the Society of Biology, was appointed as a member of the CST in June 2011.

The Prime Minister said: “Nancy Rothwell’s understanding of science and its relationship to business will enhance the council’s high caliber expertise and ensure that science and technology continues to drive UK growth.

Professor Rothwell said: “I am honoured to be invited to take up this important position and look forward to working with the CST.”

The council reports directly to the Prime Minister, taking into account the cultural, economic, environmental, ethical and social contexts of developments in science, engineering, technology and mathematics.

They hope to ensure that the practice and perception of science, engineering and technology remains an integral part of the culture of the UK.

Other members of the CST include the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University, the Director of Engineering and Technology at Rolls Royce and the CEO of Autonomy Corporation plc.

Her appointment follows the retirement of the previous Co-Chair from the CST, Professor Dame Janet Finch on the 31st December 2011.

Her period of appointment begins on the 13th February 2012 until the 31st December 2013.

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.