ellen-conlon

Plagiarism is a result of Faculties’ “inability to cater for international students”

In some years as many as 90 percent of those caught cheating in exams have been international students

While international students make up approximately 25 percent of the student population of The University of Manchester, they are accountable in some years for up to 64 percent of cases of plagiarism and 90 percent of known cases of exam cheating.

The University’s Annual Reports to Senate of Conduct and Discipline Cases reveal the number of formal cases of exam cheating and other academic malpractices each year.

The 2009-2010 report claims that there were 146 plagiarism cases in the year, 87 of which were involving international students.

Similarly, 50 official cases of exam cheating were brought before the Student Discipline Committee. Of these 50 cases, 40 were international students.

The annual report highlights that each year since 2003 over 60 percent of students caught for exam cheating have been international students.

However, Yousaf Sahibzada, the University’s International Students Officer says that these figures are often misinterpreted. The high numbers of international student plagiarism cases are not the fault of students but the University.

Most of the cases of plagiarism are within humanities subjects. Sahibzada says that while these schools emphasise to international students that plagiarism must be avoided, they do not explain how.

Many international students, having not written many essays previously in their education, fail to understand the use of references.

Sahibzada says that the University, especially the Humanities Faculty, needs to provide more information about plagiarism to international students. “The University does not tell international students how to avoid plagiarism, only how bad it is.”

The University’s 2007-2008 Annual Report recognizes the high proportions of plagiarism by international students. Rather than teach students the importance of referencing, it suggests:

“More time should be given during the admission and induction process to ensure that these students understand the expectations of UK education of them, and are given the opportunity to reflect on how this might be different from the system to which they are accustomed.”

The Engineering and Physical Sciences Faculty is currently the only faculty to provide a plagiarism workshop. As International Students Officer Sahibzada is currently trying to provide more similar workshops himself.

But this excuse does not explain the high percentages of international students caught cheating in exams.

While Sahibzada admits that this lack of confidence may be behind a few cases of exam cheating, it is not generally true. International students pay huge tuition fees and after returning to their home countries for the summer, are unable to afford to return to Manchester for resits in August if they fail. Cheating is a way to ensure that they will not have to.

Mike Mercer, the Deputy Head of Manchester University’s Student Services Centre says: “I think it is possibly due to parental and financial pressure to do well. Often they are not quite so confident and almost need it as a support.”

Mercer recognizes that there has been steady increase in the number of all students caught cheating in exams.

The most common method of those caught are ‘cheat notes’, small squares of paper (5cm by 5cm) crammed with tiny writing. He comments that they are often found in tissue packs and the inside of eraser cases.
“It is a shame as often the time taken to produce the cheat notes would have been better used revising.”

While exam invigilators are trained to spot cheating, Mercer notes that it is not uncommon and definitely increased this January exam period, for students to inform invigilators of others cheating. Students pass notes to invigilators during the exam or inform them when they take a toilet break and are out of the room.

He says: “I personally believe that we may see an increase in this type of notification as students pay more for their education, they feel insulted that a class mate is trying to gain a better degree or mark by unfair means.”