phoebe-clark

Interview: Speech Debelle

Phoebe Clarke catches up with London rapper Speech Debelle before the release of her new album.

With her second studio album, Freedom of Speech, being released, I caught up with London rapper Speech Debelle to talk about the inspiration behind her work and plans for the future.

Freedom of Speech is an album which represents the year in which it was written”, Speech tells me, and throughout the interview Speech shows herself to be an artist who truly wishes to express concerns and issues of our time through her music.  Describing the songs of the new album as being “heavily influenced by the student riots of 2011 and African uprisings worldwide”, Speech explains how the new album is an amalgamation of both her engagement of the world around her and experimentation with a new sound.  Together the two combine to give us a remarkable new album centred around themes of revolution and love.

Although Speech Debelle is no stranger to success, with her former album Speech Therapy winning the Barclaycard Mercury Prize for best album in 2009, the album had surprisingly low sales that led her to drop record label Big Dada.
Now reunited with Big Dada, Speech assures me that the same thing wont happen again.  “My new producer Kwez”, a young South London producer, “has really elevated my sound”, she explains and having listened to the album I’d have to agree. Freedom of Speech has the same sincerity of Speech Therapy with a more mature edge that Speech has gained in the past couple years.

Freedom of Speech was released on Monday 13th February.

Phoebe Clarke

Phoebe Clarke

Saxophonist, Composer/Arranger and current Music student at the University of Manchester. Phoebe has been writing for the Music section of the Mancunion since 2011 and was appointed editor in September 2013.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT