jon-taylor

Ones to watch: The Hubbards

Rising Hull four-piece The Hubbards play Night and Day on 28th February. You won’t want to miss out.
Ones to watch: The Hubbards
The Hubbards

Set to make waves in the world of indie this year are young Hull four-piece The Hubbards. With an intriguing blend of intricate guitars and rousing vocal harmonies, the future looks set to be bright for the unassuming quartet. Friends since their school days, the band are part of a thriving underground music scene from the Yorkshire city and rehearse at the home of the fellow Hull-heroes, The Paddingtons. With lyrics that reflect a maturity far beyond their years, The Hubbards have already built themselves a loyal fanbase and gained reputation as a fine live act, having supported bands such as The Crookes, Little Comets and Foals.

After years of being championed by the likes of BBC Humberside who claim that the main stage at Leeds Festival is “not beyond their grasp”, 2012 has already seen The Hubbards get their biggest break yet, with current single- the infectious ‘Back to the Circus’- receiving airtime on Fearne Cotton’s Radio 1 show, followed by an interview with Fearne herself broadcast to millions of listeners.

The Hubbards have the advantage of having their members scattered across universities all across the country, meaning that UK tour dates nationwide are a frequent occurrence. A performance at Manchester’s own Night and Day café takes place on February 28th and with frontman Reuben Driver’s vocals being compared to the likes of Brian Molko of Placebo, as well as a new single on the way this Easter, this is certainly a gig you won’t want to miss out on.

You won’t catch The Hubbards in venues like this for much longer.

For a FREE download of The Hubbard’s latest single ‘Back to the Circus’ as heard on Radio 1, head to their bandcamp, and keep an eye on the brand new website for details of future gigs and singles.

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Freya Thomson chats to Sleaford Mods about politics, fame, music, and social media.
Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Alex Ferguson ranks the best albums from Kate Bush, one of Britain’s most enigmatic and legendary musical artists
Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Sarah Taylor and Freya Thomson head to the Peaks to review a variety of rock and indie acts including Sleaford Mods and Yard Act.
Kasabian proceed with flare on ‘The Alchemist’s Euphoria’

Alex Cooper reviews the seventh studio album from Kasabian.