blakesley

Chinese State Circus

This unique performance from The Chinese State Circus was exhilarating and undeniably gripping throughout. It showcased a traditional Chinese art form which ranged from balancing on bicycles to smashing bricks on each others’ heads. The audience seemed mesmerised by the performances and the theatre was filled with gasps innumerable times. The show reflected the Chinese […]

This unique performance from The Chinese State Circus was exhilarating and undeniably gripping throughout. It showcased a traditional Chinese art form which ranged from balancing on bicycles to smashing bricks on each others’ heads. The audience seemed mesmerised by the performances and the theatre was filled with gasps innumerable times.

The show reflected the Chinese culture in an extremely captivating manner through the media of dance and acrobatics. Hoop jumpers effortlessly hurled themselves through a series of stacked hoops executing mind boggling and baffling routines which made me sit on the edge of my seat. The clever amalgamation of live musicians side-stage assisted in delivering an intense theme while the performers executed faultless jumps, dives and contortion using a number of oriental props.

The embodiment of comedy with the use of a cheeky Chinese character invoked roars of laughter as he floated through the audience tossing popcorn at spectators and picking on certain people in between set changes.

For me the most exhilarating routine involved ten of the artistes climbing onto a single bicycle and performing a spectacle of acrobatic and gymnastic pieces, whilst manoeuvring around the stage. Defying gravity was a consistent feature as the performers somersaulted between fast-moving ropes and agile routines between two 30ft poles.

There is no denying that the performance was a feat of agility and poise in an evocative art form; its high-octane theme, a stunning ballet performance roused emotion amongst the audience, finishing with one performer standing en pointe on her partner’s head.

The performance was a comical and graceful extravaganza displaying the traditions of Chinese acrobatics in the form of gripping and invigorating routines.

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own