joe-smart

Column: I love your shit

A tale of blossoming electronic romance between Skrillex and Ellie Goulding.

When looking for inspiration for these monthly columns I sometimes have a butcher’s at NME’s official site. Despite looking like the internet-equivalent of spaghetti, I eventually found the ‘most-read’ section; a portion of any site that I’m sure most of you will agree is a useful feature. Many of us don’t have the time nor the energy to choose which story to read for ourselves, but the ‘most-read’ tool cuts out that irritating 30 or even 40 seconds spent browsing the home page for the most entertaining sounding stories.

A quick scan informs me that the most-read article on the site is a tale of a blossoming electronic romance between Skrillex and Ellie Goulding – he sent her an e-mail apparently claiming to ‘love her shit’ – interpret that whichever way you want. Upon seeing this I realised I had an opportunity to make a difference. A voice in my head was urging me to write a compelling study, one that would engage debate. This is Guardian shit, I thought. Drawing astute parallels between electronic music and popular culture with ease, I pressed further, yearning for more information, for sharper conclusions, for better sources. I was feeling for a few seconds how Lizo from Newsround must feel every day, and I was loving it. The story was coming together seamlessly, quotes from experts, surveys, statistics – it was, dare I say it, becoming a proper piece of investigatory journalism. Jon Snow would be in tears, I thought, yeah, fuck you Jon.

I was on a roll, typing furiously. Harking back to the site that had originally given me the idea, looking no doubt for more hard evidence to complement my complicated point, I noticed something. Whilst the ‘most-read’ section had been the catalyst for this throwing of caution to the wind, it stopped dead in my tracks. The ‘most-read’ section was, as I have mentioned, dominated by the gibberish about Skrillex masturbating over Ellie Goulding then deciding to send her an e-mail, on the off-chance a casually suggested game of 20 questions would take a sexual turn and he’d score a snap of her in a tame La Senza bra, or something. What surprisingly didn’t feature on the list of stories with the most views was a piece as rich in current affairs and opinion as my own. A commentary on Russian punk outfit Pussy Riot, who were arrested after a protest against the re-election of Vladimir Putin to office, and are currently on hunger strike in a prison in Moscow. I sighed, defeated. I looked at my article, in all its pretentious, controversial glory and abruptly came to the realisation that nobody would give a shit. I could just imagine Jon Snow, high-fiving Krishnan Guru-Murthy, mocking me. I’m so sorry Lizo, I failed you.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures

86TVs live in Manchester: Headline debut in the city lights up the Deaf Institute

86TVs made their Manchester headline debut at The Deaf Institute, showcasing their new EP and unreleased material

Master Peace live at Night and Day: How To Make a Tour

The genre-bending, ‘indie sleaze revivalist’ brings his electrifying ‘How to Make a Tour’ set to Manchester’s Night and Day