katie-shepherd

Preview: Spring Offensive @ The Castle Hotel

This is no April Fool. Spring Offensive play Manchester this coming Sunday, April 1st.

Spring Offensive
The Castle Hotel
Sunday April 1, 2012

It’s that time of year again. Revision and essays are in full swing and most students in their third year have started thinking about life beyond days spent in John Rylands and nights out in Fallowfield. Thoughts of upcoming internships and jobs add extra pressure to deadlines as well as the annoyance with the temptation to toss out work for an afternoon in the sun.

As stress levels rise, music offers a much-needed escape and one band are making just the type of sounds to grant that relief. With mentions from BBC Introducing on Radio 1 and 6 Music, Spring Offensive from Oxford will be making their way up to Manchester on April 1st for a headlining night at The Castle Hotel.

The indie five-piece released their latest single, ‘Worry Fill My Heart’, earlier this month, which gets right to the heart of life-after-university feelings. Amidst the band’s harmonies, the lyrics pair up to present conflicting feelings like “How’d I end up in a job like this?…Maybe tomorrow, I’ll go ahead and quit it!” Comparable to one of their influences Death Cab for Cutie, these guys are creating smooth indie rhythms with their own experimental feel.

The Sunday night put on by Red Balloon Music promises to be full of new sounds with the acoustic The Robin Pierce Band, as well as two of Manchester’s own, Stefan Melbourne and Matt Hiom also on the lineup. The cozy, dark pub vibe of The Castle Hotel will be the perfect setting to check out Spring Offensive during their visit to Manchester.

You can find out more information about the night on the Facebook event page.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark