matthewbarber

Where are they now? – David Ginola

Taking a look at what our favourite footballers of the past are doing now…

David Ginola graced the Premier League between 1995 and 2002, turning out for Newcastle, Spurs, Villa and Everton. Renowned for his magical touch and flamboyant style, the silky Frenchman captured the imagination of football fans across the country and he remains one of the most popular foreign imports in Premier League history. His ability was a catalyst for Newcastle’s oh-so-close title challenge under Kevin Keegan and Spurs’ League Cup win in 1999. Ginola was no stranger to controversy, a spat with former France manager Gerard Houllier, after failure to qualify for World Cup 1994, saw him branded a ‘bastard’ by Houllier, ostracised by his native supporters and limited to just seventeen national caps.

Since retirement in 2002, Ginola has explored several new pursuits. Famous for his L’Oreal adverts of the mid 90’s that made him a nationwide pin-up, Ginola has extended his television career. Akin to fellow Frenchman Eric Cantona, Ginola attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) classes. His first film – Rosbeef, in which he stars as Didier la Flore the butcher – premiered in the prestigious Cannes Film Festival in May 2004 and he has since featured in several other productions. Ginola allegedly turned down a role in BBC soap opera Holby City, but has most recently been on English screens with a cameo appearance on ‘Coach Trip’ as a tour guide for the French town Saint-Maxime.

Away from acting, Ginola received a silver medal at the International Wine Challenge for a rosé wine produced at his vineyard in Provence. Also, reports claim his latest project is setting up an exclusive A-lister retreat at a secret location in Wiltshire. Designed for celebrities looking to unwind, The Centre bears the slogan “Be well, be safe, believe”.

In March Ginola was involved in a skiing accident in which he broke three ribs and suffered ‘severe trauma’ to his throat. Though he is recovering well, the injury has temporarily put on hold his varying charity and endorsing work and his appearance on the French version of ‘Dancing With The Stars’. Ginola lives near St Tropez with fashion model wife Coraline and the couple have a son and a daughter.

Matthew Barber

Matthew Barber

Mancunion Sport Editor 2012-13