rachel-heward
23rd April 2012

Late Manchester peace activist has journals published

A Manchester Metropolitan student killed in the Gaza strip has a collection of photos, poems and journal extracts published

A peace activist and photographer who was killed by an Israeli soldier in the Gaza Strip eight years ago has had a collection of his photos, poems and journal entries published.

Tom Hurndall, who studied photojournalism at Manchester Metropolitan University, last month had his work published in a book titled ‘The Only House Left Standing: The Middle East Journals of Tom Hurndall’.

The book contains a foreword by well-regarded veteran journalist Robert Fisk.

James Powell from publisher Trolley Books said, “the personal writings, poems and photography which survive him are an intimate and inspirational window into his efforts to make sense of the conflicts around him”.

Sean O’Hagan, a journalist for the Guardian, has described the journals as “a mixture of reportage and citizen journalism of the most intense kind; a visual record of struggle and conflict left by someone who comes across as extraordinarily committed and fearless.”

Wednesday 11th April marked the 8th anniversary of Hurndall’s shooting. His ties to Manchester remain strong and he is commemorated by an annual lecture hosted by MMU.