emily-whitehouse

The Deep South: Memphis

Emily Whitehouse tells us why Memphis is the perfect stop-off on the American road trip of a lifetime

Nestled in the heart of the American Mid-South, Memphis is known as the birthplace of blues, soul, and rock ‘n’ roll. Most visitors come here for Graceland, and the chance to nosy around the mansion of Memphis’ most famous former resident, Elvis. But if Mr Presley isn’t your sort of thing, and you’re not looking for guidance on hideous ways to decorate your house, the city provides plenty more to do.

Memphis played an important role in the American Civil Rights movement, and a visit to the Lorraine Motel, where you can see the balcony Martin Luther King Jr was standing on when he was assassinated in 1968, is a must. Now converted into the National Civil Rights Museum, the motel has been a subject of criticism due to its expensive rejuvenation in a low-income, predominantly black area of the city. Jacqueline Smith, the motel’s former housekeeper, has protested outside the museum for the last 30 years, arguing that Martin Luther King would not approve of $9 million being spent on a building for him. She is more than happy to speak to passing tourists!

Beale Street is the party hub of Memphis: a road lined with bars, clubs and music venues. Drinking on the street itself is practically encouraged, and bars are happy to let you come in with a drink already in hand. Start your night at BB King’s – owned by the blues legend himself, this place serves great Southern food accompanied by live musicians, and a long cocktail list.

My year abroad, the visa process, and getting lost in translation

Preparing for your year abroad can feel daunting, but with a little preparation and a willingness to get things wrong at first, there’ll be plenty to look forward to

Getting involved: Volunteering at the Booth Centre

Getting involved in volunteering can help you feel more connected to Manchester and support the local community, here’s one writer’s experience

‘An audio treat’: The Mancunion’s favourite podcasts

Whether you’re looking to keep up with current affairs, celebrity gossip or even Formula 1, we’ve got you covered with our top pick of podcasts